Monday, February 3, 2014

New cornrow and braid combination style

This weekend was time for a new style. After looking on the Internet for inspiration, A actually decided to draw me a picture of what she wanted! This style wasn't exactly what she drew, but she was happy nonetheless. I am hoping this style lasts for a minimum of 2 weeks, but with a swimming competition and extra training this week, I have a feeling it's going to get frizzy quite easily. Let's wait and see! 

This is my first post where I actually took pictures of the process of making this style. I was going to do a video, but we had a PJ day on Sunday and well, I wasn't going to video myself in my PJ's! So you will have to make do with pictures instead!! 

First step - Washing
I have tried so many different shampoo and conditioner types on A's hair. Spent a small fortune and to be honest, the best one I have found so far is Herbal Essences 'Hello Hydration'. It smells amazing and leaves A's hair very moist and smooth. If you want a high street price, I would recommend trying this. 


This is A's hair immediately after washing, still very wet. Isn't it GORGEOUS!! 


Second step - Parting / Sectioning
A requested a half up / half down hairstyle so I decided to do some simple box style braids on the bottom half of her hair. I parted her hair like this, and added braids. I can't believe how long her hair is now! Her braids go half way down her back! Because I braid her hair when it is wet, when it dries it curls around itself as you can see from some of the middle braids which I did first. 

For the sides, I wanted to get the braids out of her face so I cornrowed the first part of the braid and let it fall behind her ear. 


Third Step - Cornrows 
A wanted the front of her hair up, so I cornrowed into the middle of her head, starting from one side and working my way to the other side. I didn't make the cornrows too small, as I started this style quite late in the day and wanted to make sure I finished before bed time! Here she is half way through! I kind of like this look!! 


Finished Style 
I added a pretty floral hair bobble because A likes that sort of thing! At some point next week, when the style is looking a bit messy, I will pull all the braids into a bun and add a larger flower!

1 comment: