Monday, January 20, 2014

Box Braids

I love doing box braids on A's hair because of the versatility of the style.

A loves having box braids because she can wear her hair "down". If her hair is loose, it doesn't fall down her back, but sticks straight out!

I normally braid around 100 braids into her hair when I am doing box braids. Sometimes I create half moon shaped parts but I also like straight lines with a part down the middle and across from ear to ear. This means she can wear the braids in various different styles including:

Loose 
Two ponytails either side of her head 
Half up, half down 
All up 
Two cornrows down each side of her head
One large cornrow 
Two buns on either side of her head
One bun at the base of her neck 
High messy bun

And that isn't the whole list!

Box braids also stay in for around 6 weeks. By the end of the 6 weeks A usually wears the box braids pulled up into a messy bun on the crown of her head with a flower clip in the side.

The final thing I love about box braids (am I selling them enough?!) is that A doesn't need any clips, beads or elastics on the ends of her hair. When I get to the end of the braid, I finger twist the ends to curl the hairs around each other and the curls cling together keeping the braid secured. When she goes swimming, I make sure I braid all the braids together in either one or two cornrows to ensure the ends do not come undone.



No comments:

Post a Comment